This is SO easy to make, and good for you. Yes, avocados have fat in them, but it’s the healthy kind your body needs – just don’t eat too many because it’s loaded with calories. Don’t overdo on the cheese. Moderation in all things!!
This is a great weekend lunch or quick dinner. You can make it in your oven broiler, but a toaster oven is ideal.
This recipe will make 2 open faced sandwiches.
- 4 slices bread (preferably whole grain)
- 2 little dashes of olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 large ripe tomato
- a little sprinkle of your favorite shredded cheese
- salt, pepper, garlic powder (or whatever spices you like)
- Wash tomato. Remove any stickers by cutting off with knife. Cut the tomato into thin slices suitable for laying on a sandwich.
- Cut avocado in half (you’ll have to cut around the pit). With a soup spoon, scoop the meat from the skin, pull out pit from center. After removing meat, cut into thin half-moon slices with a knife.
- Spread a few dabs of olive oil on each slice of bread. Toast in toaster oven or broil in oven broiler on a cookie sheet until just slightly toasted (don’t put oiled bread in a regular toaster – I’m not sure what would happen (fire?) in addition to an oily mess. Use oven or toaster oven only). Or toast the bread first, then spread the oil into the bread.
- Remove toasted bread. Pile tomato slices on top of bread. Lay avocado slices on top of tomato (yes, they are slippery, do the best you can to get them to stay). Sprinkle a little cheese over avocado and tomato. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, or whatever spice you like. You can even add onions, sesame seeds, or other veggies if you want.
- Return to toaster oven or oven broiler until cheese melts.
Option: If you don’t care about having a hot sandwich, you can eat this cold, of course. But there’s just something about melted cheese and warm tomatoes…Yum! Enjoy!!!