Here are the books I have read for the month of February. There’s a legend that explains the rating system below the reviews.
1) Three Keys to Self-Empowerment by Stuart Wilde ©1983,87,96 – Metaphysical theories on living life. ☻☻☻☻
2) The Motive by John Lescroart © 2006 – Lawyer and cop slice through political bullshit to solve arson crime.☻☻☻
3) Nightfall by Nelson DeMille ©2004 – As an adulterous couple video themselves making love on a Long Island beach; the camera also records the explosion of TWA Flight 800 with 230 passengers on board. Because of their illicit affair, they keep the video, which is probably the only evidence that can disprove the government’s version of the cause of the crash, a secret. Various factions attempt to solve (or cover up) the solution to the crash mystery, and the long hidden tape finally comes to light. This is a fictional novelization of the actual crash that occurred on July 17, 1996. ☻☻☻☻
4) The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier © 2006 – An incredible novel about a dimension that contains the spirits of those that are dead. It’s just like a regular city. The “people” are stuck in this dimension until everyone who ever knew them on Earth dies. Consequently, the population keeps dwindling. I love this author’s style and questing tone.☻☻☻☻☻
5) Bringing Out the Dead by Joe Connelly ©1998 – Conscientious but burned out paramedic is haunted by past situations where he could not save lives. ☻☻☻☻
6) Count to Ten by Karen Rose ©2007 –A fire department lieutenant and a police detective investigate serial arsons / murders. ☻☻☻
Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan I could not finish this book; got to about page 70 and returned it to Barnes and Noble. I ordinarily love Amy Tan and have read all of her books, but this one went into so much trivial detail on each of the characters, I just didn’t care about them. Maybe I’ll revisit it in the future when I’m more patient about story development. ☻
☻☻☻☻☻ Excellent. I highly recommend this book. Wonderfully plotted or chockfull of insights.
☻☻☻☻ Very good. May have minor aspects of style or plot that prevented it from getting 5 smileys.
☻☻☻ Flawed, but of some entertainment or thought-provoking value.
☻☻ Read this book if you are stranded on a desert island and have nothing else handy to read.
☻ Don’t bother, it’s a waste of time.